Thursday, May 19, 2011

Immortality and Legacy...

Not long ago, a friend asked me a question regarding the photographic work (we tend to call this "work" ) and what to do or happens with it?  All the time, effort, expense, love and expression we put towards our "work".  We aren't looking for fame or fortune, although it would be nice.  But... what becomes of this?

It's actually a really great question that has been on my mind ever since.

For me the word, "immortality and legacy" kept coming to my mind as perhaps an answer to the question from my friend about how I viewed it.

Before the days of cyberspace, immortality / legacy came from limited means.

For a vast majority of people, our offspring are our living legacy.
Other means come from published work, statues, buildings named, a plaque (such as the photo above), etc...

Got me wondering, how many Henri Cartier-Bresson's or other good/great photographers were out there who just didn't get a chance or connections to have their works publicized or immortalized?

How many great photographs have been lost just because they were discarded.

Technology has changed the world significantly - for good or bad, depending on your point of view.

I realized that the images that I've posted on my numerous websites and shared on social networks is living on in cyberspace.  I "Googled" my name and a whole bunch of my work appeared.

It dawned on me that when "the day" comes and I've shot my last image and posted it, that work along with the rest will remain in cyberspace for others to find and hopefully enjoy.

That alone has given me some resolution to know that through this art form, I may have something of immortality and legacy to leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment