Saturday, May 21, 2011

Neighborhood stores...

In a time... far far away.... neighborhoods existed.  Each one having character and characters.  Little by little these family owned businesses are vanishing from the American landscape and with it.... the simple things that make life whole.

This business makes Japanese confections and is a neighborhood hang out.  The drugstore formica type counter inside could have easily been lifted from those images we only see in old movies or magazines.  People walk in and the regulars are having those conversations (without texting or cell phones) about everything under the sun.  The word "CHARACTER" pops to mind.

Although I can't say this place was a hang out or part of the neighborhood I grew up in.... it has been a part of my childhood with so many brief and fond memories.

It scares me to think that an entire generation or two have grown up only to know of big box chain stores and malls.

I just hope that this place and places like these will always exist so that generations from now.... they will look back as I do with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment