Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hard Times and a dilemma....

This photo was taken months ago.  The place, Old Sacramento.  The change machine is provided by the city so the tourists who were lucky enough to find parking on the street would be able to get the change to feed the meters.

The man in the photo appeared to be homeless and was using two twigs from a tree to try and fish out the small change that has fallen between the cracks of the wooden planks.  The look on his face was sheer determination.

Minutes later, I returned to find him still searching and as determined as ever.

I was amazed at his determination and resourcefulness but at the same time, heartbroken to see what someone will come to when things are not going well.

The dilemma in the title of this posting is all mine.  I sat on the photos for months.  I wanted not to exploit those who are down on their luck but at the same time wanted to share determination and resourcefulness and internal fortitude of people.

To really capture this post, please visit the blog site - http://stevefoonphotography.blogspot.com
I know that some of my readers are seeing this via an email but I ask that you take a minute to see it in published form.  Feel free to send me a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think I know how you feel about the dilemma.

    If you didn't say that he was homeless, I think I would see this photos rather differently. I might only see the determination.

    Perhaps how we tell a story can also help in this kind of situation :-)

    ReplyDelete